Our baby boys room is done! I had so much fun dreaming up and creating this room! I don't want to brag, but I am so proud of myself, when I was pregnant with Evelyn five years ago I couldn't sew the simplest thing, literally, it took me a few years after she was born to give sewing another try and I am proud to say that I love sewing now and feel like I can do a decent job. When I couldn't find what I wanted on-line I decided I would give it a go and try sewing the crib set, curtains, etc by myself. And I did! Everything in this room that is made out of fabric, I sewed! And I am even happy with how everything turned out :)
For the bumper pads I found that they sell bumper pad inserts at JoAnn's for about $30 and I got them for 50% off. They come with instructions of how to sew the covers and everything. They were super easy to make, the ties were time consuming and you have to hand stitch them shut, but it was all easy work.
For the banner I made up a pattern. I cut a triangle template that is 6 in on top and has 9 in sides. Cut two pieces for each triangle. Sew them wrong sides together 1/4 in from edge down the long sides (you don't need to sew the top) Cut the long sides with pinking shears (just don't cute your seams!). Make bias tape by cutting your fabric 2 in wide (for the length you will need to determine how long your banner is going to be and sew your 2 in pieces together until it's long enough). Iron the 2 inch strip in half lengthwise then open it up and iron it again so that the raw edges are ironed to the middle. Put your triangles in the bias tape and sew right along the edge.
I used THIS tutorial for the crib sheet. I did end up taking out about 8 inches of elastic after it was all done because it wasn't quite tight enough.
For the crib skirt I used THIS tutorial. To save money on the part that sits under the crib mattress, that no one ever sees, I just used a plain turquoise that was about $3/yard from JoAnn's instead of using my more expensive fabric.
For the curtains I used THIS tutorial.
For the pillow is used THIS SUPER simple tutorial.
The basket liners were by far my least favorite thing to sew, and I'm still not really sure why, I love the way they turned out, I just didn't like making them for some reason. I have had these baskets since Evelyn was a baby and back then my wonderful mother had to sew everything for me and she made liners for them. This time I was determined to at least attempt making them myself and then would go to my mom if I couldn't figure it out. I ended up taking apart one of the ones she had made and used that as a pattern to cut out the new pieces and then figured out how to sew them together. I apologize I don't have a tutorial or anything, my suggestion, don't buy trapezoid shaped baskets, they are a pain to cover!
Again, back when my mom had to make everything for me she made a beautiful dresser topper for my girls when they used this dresser and I loved it so much I decided to make one for this guy too, it is just strips sewn together, nothing fancy, but I like that it softens the dresser and adds color :)
If you are interested, here's a breakdown of the fabrics I used. All of the fabric was either ordered from fabric.com or I bought at JoAnn's.
Curtains/Basket Liners: Premier Prints ZigZag Twill Girly Blue (fabric.com)
Bumper Pads: Riley Blake Life in the Jungle Orange (fabric.com) and Premier Prints Gotcha Chartreuse/White (fabric.com)
Crib Sheet: Riley Blake Life in the Jungle Dots White (fabric.com)
Crib Skirt: Premier Prints Twill Lulu Girly Blue/Chartreuse (fabric.com)
Gray Basket Liners: I don't know the name but it's from JoAnn's
Rug: Ikea ($20!)
Paint: Unfortunately I cannot remember what the gray is, I accidentally threw the paint chip away, but I do know it was Behr. I had Home Depot color match the turquoise to my curtains so that was a custom color.